Thursday, December 12, 2013

Blog review

What topics did I write on?

I wrote on a wide range of topics and tested a number of different tools. I wrote about general security issues such as NSA spying, concerns about Cyberwarfare, effects of the government shut down, and privacy issues. I did study password breaking methods. I did an overview of emerging new threats. I did another review of the most common causes of security breaches. I did study penetration testing and focused on the many features of BackTrack Linux. I did use BackTrack Linux to do a MITM attack and managed to steal session cookies. I also test drove Metasploit and the Social Engineering Toolkit. I also experimented in WIFI monitoring tools. I reviewed the “Art of Deception” to learn about social engineering. I tested a few encryption tools. I reviewed solutions to the future problem of Quantum Computing breaking today's encryption methods. I returned to BackTrack Linux to review its forensics tools. 

What sources did I use?

I used a wide variety of sources. This included online magazines, blogs, tuturials, and software support sites. I did find Bruce Scheier's blog to be interesting and useful. I also used the Dark Reading Blog. It had some useful postings to some valuable white papers. I also used Security Week several times. I looked at tutorials and videos on Metasploit and the Social Engineering Toolkit. I reviewed the pdf version of Kevin Mitnick's book “The Art of Deception.”

Is this type of blog useful? What lessons can be learned?


Since the security environment is constantly changing, blogs can often give information that is not as readily available elsewhere. I found the blogs can have helpful tips and how to instructions. I found a great deal of information on the use of BackTrack linux on blogs. Blogs often give a more honest evaluation of software and hardware products than the manufacture's websites. If I am having an issue, I am probably not the only one. It answer is likely out there somewhere on someone's blog. For example, I was trying to install a Linux distribution for a class next term. I could not get it to pick of my WIFI adapter. But I found the answer on someone's blog. One thing I blogged about was the use of different tools. I would recommend that students experiment with different tools. It is a great way to learn. I am impressed with BackTrack Linux and recommend students try it. I plan to experiment with it more.  

No comments:

Post a Comment